From Trinity to UCONN, from a Bantam to a Husky!!! Welcome to my TCPCG page....its a remix of homework and some of my favorite videos.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Week 5 T2P

After learning about Erikson's ideas of emotional development, children who are given the opportunity to make their own decisions acquire confidence and life skills with these experiences. A child who is allowed to take healthy risks during their adolescence and is positively reinforced for their choices have a tendency to be intrinsically motivated and also to continue to follow their own decision making process even if they have an identity crisis along the way because they are developing emotionally, as well socially, and are able and willing to make their own choices.  By encouraging an adolescent who decides to try something new, like trying out for the soccer team when they've never kicked a ball in their life, will give them the opportunity to explore a new social setting where they will have to explore and navigate a new space allowing for them to develop new intimate relationships and networks.  If they enjoy soccer they will be intrinsically motivated to practice and do everything it takes to improve their soccer game whereas if an adolescent is forced to play soccer they might rebel because they are at an age where their brain is changing and pruning away old experiences to make room for new ones and in this  process there is more attention placed on their own decision making (eg risk-taking) than decisions made for them by people like their parents or teachers.

2 comments:

  1. Mel,

    I was duly impressed with your response to our dialog in class re: risk-taking. I know I pushed you a bit. What I (we) witnessed was you unveiling your bias and prior experience with risk-taking as only being negative and having destructive consequences.

    I hope after our conversation and watching that video (the one you didn't agree with) you might adopt a broader definition and understanding of risk-taking as potentially positive and necessary in a child's life (and an adult's). Reading your post here provides some indication of that being true.

    Cheers.

    GNA

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I appreciated your comment to me that I respond to quickly instead of waiting and letting the information sink in before asking questions. This is case in point here. I certainly have evidence where risk taking has definitely paid off in my life(eg. quitting my job to come to TCPCG) while I am glad to notice my bias now then later. I am just sensitive to the idea of my 14 year old exposed to a video suggesting risk taking without SOLID examples, which at this point I can not even remember if there were good ones(I was too blinded by my bias)

    ReplyDelete