From Trinity to UCONN, from a Bantam to a Husky!!! Welcome to my TCPCG page....its a remix of homework and some of my favorite videos.

Monday, June 6, 2011

Week 2- How I learn/would like to share with my students

This is an interesting idea because I am not sure if some of the pages I visit are age appropriate to high school. I firmly believe that exposing youth to "out of the box" sources is important and yet just as quick as I am to explore my appropriateness then it dawns on me that they can google just as easy as I can. With this said I am including sites that I think have educational content, current relevant content and overall relevance to my subject matter as well what shapes me as a what I would like to think as a global citizen.
1. I believe that a huge part of what has made a good teacher in my experience has been relating information to me that opens up my mind. I have learned the most by having a hands on approach to learning and experiential in nature as well.
Relating sources to me whether on the internet,usually, or primary sources has always opened my eyes and I love surfing links and finding new interesting sites. (It is amazing to read what some people post also.) We are trained to watch mainstream media for current news sources but I prefer to look at a variety of news sources. Salon, Al Jazeera , New York Timeto name a few. It is a very expansive world out there and the internet can take us places we would not normally travel to.

2. I also would like to inspire my students to blog and voice their own opinions. Learning to find your voice is an important piece of developing your identity. Often you can find different viewpoints and ideas that you would on a strictly factually based site. With that said how do you check facts on the web?

3. This is why I have included a fact checking website. Since I believe strongly in questioning everything in the media, I also would advise just fact checking every once in awhile. But then again where do they get their facts?

I would say that the above suggestions begins to gain ground in the highly comprehensive field of social studies(I haven't even touched on any history sites). It is most important to stay informed in a global sense in order to shape your views without cultural bias.

1 comment:

  1. Mel.

    I really dig you approach to this assignment. And your post is orderly, easy to ready, and concise. Excellent work sister.

    GNA

    ReplyDelete